I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Forgiveness does bring Freedom

I had the most wonderful experience with Abbie this afternoon. She had been waiting several hours to talk to me and then she just couldn't take it anymore and with tears streaming down her face she said "Mommy, I really need to tell you something that happened." I braced myself and let her have the floor. She began sharing with me how she's been feeling different since she asked Jesus in her heart and she gets this wierd feeling when she isn't making good decisions. She then went on to tell me a story about what she's been going through all on her own for the last few nights at bedtime. I would like to share her words with all of you. It brought tears to my eyes and later her daddy's and yet reminded me of why what we are doing in training our children up in the ways of the Lord is the only way to go.

Abbie:

"Mommy at night when I lay down to sleep I get this sick feeling in my heart because I can't stop thinking about a lie I told. I know I'm not suppose to tell a lie and it was a really long time ago, but I can't stop thinking about how bad it was to do it. I can only remember this lie because its the only lie I remember that I told to you and daddy. I just kept crying last night in my bed and my heart felt weird. So, I just prayed to Jesus and said Jesus, I'm a sinner and I need your forgiveness."

Well ladies, my eyes were filled with tears. Of coarse I had to ask what the lie was and it had to do with a fight between her and her brother 3 months ago!!! We discussed the consequences of telling a fib and she has only had to suffer those consequences a couple of times, but it has been well over a year. I asked her if she had told me any other lies and she replied with "noway and I'm not going to tell anymore because I don't like feeling Jesus is hurt." We discussed the purpose of the HolySpirit in our lives, more about what conviction is, and what forgiveness brings........FREEDOM. I asked her how she felt after she prayed that prayer to Jesus and she said "my tears stopped and I went right to sleep." I have to say that I felt and Jeff felt that there would be no need for the punishment we would normally give because the Lord's discipline was far greater in this circumstance. She had been dealing with this in her time of sleep since last Friday night.
I am thankful for this moment. I know the Lord is growing and molding our children and it is touching to be reminded that he's capable of reaching anyone no matter their age. I believe this is just the beginning of Abbie finding out what it's like to have a true relationship with the Lord. She is walking in freedom tonight by the way!

1 comment:

Lea Whittaker said...

This is awesome! Doesn't this feel good to know you are helping do something that is right by showing her God's love. I struggle daily with knowing if I am doing things right raising my boys and this is encouraging. Thanks for sharing