I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God.
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer ends and School Begins

Since the Light's summer has come to a closure I thought I would share some of our last adventures. We had a wonderful summer and I am in some ways very sad. There were many freedoms I enjoyed such as no alarm clocks, no worries of a structured school day, no schedules to maintain, no strict bedtimes, tons of sleepovers and absolutely all the sun and water we could stand!!!! The one thing I will not miss is the heat. I am looking forward to the evening meals on our front porch looking out and feeling the sweet breeze blow. We have some learning to do, wonderful school projects, field trips, dance recitals, ball games, and somewhere along the way we will squeeze in gymnastics. So the bussiness begins and alarm clocks are set. It's time to bring all things in order including 6:30 a.m. workouts......ugh!!! School is called to order and I'm not really seeing much of a recess.
I am posting some of my last moments of summer that I treasure. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

We had a mommy and kids night, with an extra kid involved while Jeff was out of town last weekend. We went to Disney's Rockin' Road Trip show. It was wonderful and I have to admit there were times that I just became emotional watching my children's faces light up. They were mesmerized and captured into a fairytale world and for a moment I was as well. In the very first scene Trever not taking his eyes off the stage, said to me "see Mommy, I told you they were all real." Tears just filled my eyes as I watched his eyes sparkle. When Cinderella walked out Abbie couldn't hold back the smile and she just glowed with joy. Okay, I know this is all a little mushy, but people, it was a moment. Disney captures you and there is just no way out at times. It was a wonderful evening spent with my fabulous babies.



































































































































One of my favorite trips this summer was the trip Abbie and I made to Sylva, NC. We did miss our Trever and Jeff, but this was a mother and daughter trip that I will never forget. It was breathtaking at times to see God's beauty and for the first time I realized why Amy feels the way she does about the mountains. There was one moment while we were visiting Panthertown when Abbie said to me "mommy, I don't know why, but sometimes I just get tears in my eyes while I'm looking at all of it." I found her many times very quiet and still, but yet smiling. She was so happy to see her dear friends Chloe and Alma and I have to admit that my face lit up when I saw them too. I laughed hysterically when I saw Amy because she had these God awful bright green rimmed glasses on and that's how she greeted me. To answer your question, yes, she did it on purpose. They are real glasses that she ordered and didn't look at all like what she thought she had ordered. It was a funny moment and it reminded me of why she's in my life and the joy she brings.














When Brent and Tiffany arrived we went and visited this beautiful place called Panthertown. We took a long hike up to a waterfall. We actually were able to jump into the fall and swim, and walk on top of the water fall. Along the walk on top of the fall there were many pools of water that the girls would get into and swim. In those same pools of water Amy would seem to slip into them unplanned. She scared me the first time, but by the 3rd slip I was just laughing my butt off and there was one time I literally thought she would curse me for laughing, but I just could not help it. Brent was never able to capture one fall on the video camera, but he did manage to do his normal shaking of the head and add a little "hmm" in there. By the 4th fall he was asking questions like "Amy, what's the deal?" Her reply was "Brent, I don't know."





























This was on top of the water fall and I will forever cherish this picture and moment. It was perfectly quiet. Not even the sound of water moving and it was a place I could have just curled up with her, held her tight, and never let go.
























































This is such a sweet picture, but I'm quite sure the conversation had something to do with bugs. haha











Okay, I know I have no make-up on and my hair is pulled back in bobby pins, but this day was the funnest day of the whole week and this picture will always remind me of how much we laughed so I'm dropping down my guard and posting the picture anyways. Keep your negative thoughts to yourself. This was the day we went tubing in Deep Creek and it is also the day that I paid four dollars to nearly die. Seriously people, it was crazy!!! I hit more rocks than I can even count. I flipped over only two times, but one of those two times I could not get from under water because the current was so strong and I just hung onto my tube while it drug me over rocks. I really did at one point think I paid four dollars to go to heaven and I'm sure somewhere in there I asked Jesus into my heart and to forgive me of all of my sins just in case I wasn't saved and didn't realize it. However, I did not meet Jesus that day as we all know. I eventually surfaced and thanked God almighty that I was back on my tube. Then, Brent started laughing at me. Surprise, surprise!!! After our hour long fun, torturous, funny, and life-threatening tubing trip we met back up with Amy, Chloe, and Abbie at the calm waters. I talked Amy into going on the trip with Brent, Alma, and Tiffany. Yeah, you read it right them crazy loons did it again!!! Amy stayed off her tube more than on and eventually got out of the creek and started walking. When she caught up with the rest of the gang waiting in the creek for her she yelled out "SUCKERS!!!" Such a Corky Jones moment and it was priceless. I'm still laughing about this day. It was fun and Abbie even got to go on a more calming tube ride.











































The girls also got to go Jem mining and they found lots of Jewels (also known as rocks....hahaha).








































Amy really wanted to take us to her all-time favorite restaurant Nick and Nate's. I must say, I am not a pizza fan, but it was delicious.










I have no pictures of Mrs. Smith or Mrs. Deidra, but we spent a lot of time together playing Kinasta and me and Dee were quite the team. Mrs. Smith made me laugh and cry at times. She brought so many memories back about growing up around my Grandmama from the way she cooked to the way she giggled. We truly feel blessed that she allowed us to come and stay in her home. It was a special gift that we will always remember!!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great post, Jen. I love all the pictures. I, myself, have stayed at that house and have enjoyed the pizza at Nick and Nate's. How great that so many people were able to fill that house with joy during, what I'm sure, was a hard summer for Ga. Enjoy the school days!

The Cannon Chronicles said...

It looks like your children have had an amazing summer. I thought the picture of you without makeup was beautiful! The lazy days of summer, boy I'm missing them right about now.

Jeanne said...

What a summer! The pictures were so great! You've got to give me details about the Disney thing you guys did! Josie and Jake would LOVE that!!!!